Six of Australia’s most strategic funders were recognised for their giving at the 2017 Philanthropy Australia Awards. We were proud sponsors of the Gender-wise Award, which recognises gender equity initiatives
Philanthropy Australia – a membership organisation dedicated to growing and promoting philanthropy – hosted its annual Australian philanthropy awards on 5 April 2017. The awards celebrate partnerships between grant makers and not for profits, particularly focusing on project achievements that help solve and raise awareness of complex societal issues.
We were the proud sponsors of Philanthropy Australia’s Gender-wise Award for the second year running. Presented in partnership with the Australian Women Donors Network, the Gender-wise Award recognises initiatives to advance gender equity through:
- Direct investment in projects or organisations that support women and girls, and
- The integration of a gender lens
Award selection criteria focused on visionary, high impact and transformative philanthropy. This year, the award was won by The Caledonian Foundation for Good Pitch’s The Hunting Ground Australia Project (THGAP). THGAP had support from 17 other philanthropic partners, creating a national campaign around the prevalence of sexual violence in Australian universities.
THGAP’s national campaign uses The Hunting Ground documentary as a tool to engage the entire Australian university sector. The impact campaign involves a number of streams, including:
- A campus screening program of The Hunting Ground
- Development of an independent national survey
- Development of model protocol and policy frameworks for university responses to reports of sexual violence
- Adaptation of existing sexual ethics, consent and bystander training, for use in a university context
The Hunting Ground documentary trailer video can be viewed below.
Congratulations to The Caledonian Foundation and all of the winners for outstanding philanthropic work.
More information on the 2017 Australian philanthropy awards and its recepients are available here.