Earlier this year we gave our wholesale qualified clients the opportunity to hear about superannuation changes starting 1 July 2017 from one of Australia’s most acclaimed experts, Tony Negline – Head of Superannuation for the Chartered Accountants of Australia and New Zealand
Earlier this year we gave our wholesale qualified clients the opportunity to hear about superannuation changes starting 1 July 2017 from one of the most acclaimed experts, Tony Negline – who is Head of Superannuation for the Chartered Accountants of Australia and New Zealand.
There was an overwhelming response, leading us to increase the number of sessions. We held ten sessions in five capital cities during April and May, with more than 400 clients attending. We still felt the personal sessions weren’t enough with clients as far afield as the Northern Territory and Tasmania wanting access to the educational material. In response, we recorded one of the Melbourne sessions and are making the video content available to all FIIG clients with a MyFIIG login.
Total viewing time is approximately 80 minutes. Titles for the sections are:
- Q & A – the first question being “What do I need to do before 30 June?”
- Terminology – The changing government super settings
- Terminology – Superannuation is a trust
- When can super contributions be made? – Getting money in
- Getting money out – Conditions of release
- Operational aspects – Segregated and unsegregated
- Changes to contribution rules – Concessional contributions
- Tax deductions – For personal contributions
- Non concessional contributions – After tax money
- Transfer Balance Account
- How the Transfer Balance Account works at an operational level
- Transfer Balance Account – Death benefits
- Transfer Balance Account – Things to think about
- Total super balance – If you have more than $1.6m and how it is calculated
- Capital gains tax exemption
The video is provided in high definition format dependent on your internet speed, and can be rewound or fast forwarded as needed.
If you are not classified as a wholesale qualified client and would like to be invited to future ‘wholesale client only’ events, please see the link at the end of this note, explaining the difference and what you need to do to qualify. Otherwise, please call your local dealer, who can help.
If you are not a FIIG client and are interested in signing up, you can apply online through the FIIG website or call 1800 01 01 81.
About Tony Negline
Tony Negline has been involved in the financial services industry for more than 25 years. For over 12 years he has written a weekly financial services column, primarily about SMSFs, for The Australian newspaper.
Tony works for a number of organisations, including Chartered Accountants Australia & New Zealand as its head of superannuation.
He is author of The Essential SMSF Guide 2015/16, published by Thomson Reuters. Tony’s qualifications include a Bachelor of Arts and Graduate Diploma in Business Systems from Monash University, as well as a Diploma in Journalism and an Advanced Diploma of Financial Services (superannuation).
He is a fellow of the Financial Services Institute of Australasia (Finsia) and is a SMSF Association specialist adviser.